- Type of paperEssay (Any Type)
- Number of pages11
- Format of citationMLA
- Number of cited resources6
- Type of serviceWriting
The big or ″extended″ paper for the course asks you to take a stand on a topic of your choice that was seen in the course readings and/or discussions. That ″stand″ or position will be articulated in a precise thesis statement and supported by evidence from sources we read paired with your original analysis or commentary on that evidence. Recall what we read, and consider what affected you the most—what excited you, bothered you, or got you thinking? This paper is your chance to take it further. The subject is open-ended so that students may select a topic of interest or relevance. Many approaches are possible: Extension or Corroboration: Something we read this semester seems accurate. You have further thoughts, proof, or examples of ideas in these readings, perhaps inspired by technologies not directly addressed by your bibliography. Critique or Modification: Something we read seems wrong or misguided. You have further thoughts, complications, or counterpoints to these readings, perhaps inspired by technologies not directly addressed by your bibliography. Definition or Application: Something we read helps explain contemporary technologies or digital services not directly addressed by the texts you cite. Division: a complex idea we read about has several parts or dimensions. Thesis identifies dimensions; body develops each in turn using examples from the readings and/or informal references to contemporary or historical technologies. Comparison, Contrast, and/or Synthesis: two or more readings/authors/ideas we read can be understood by means of placing them alongside or against one other—or, perhaps, have more in common than meets the eye, and the two should be understood as similar. Either way, formulate your position as a precise thesis. 3,000-3,300 words single-spaced, not including bibliography Structure to consider: 1.) Introduction including a ″hook,″ a preview of the body′s sequence, and a multipart thesis with perhaps three ″mini theses″ within it. 2.)Part A of the thesis, expressed as a topic sentence. Evidence from and analysis of sources to support Part A. 3.)Part B of the thesis, expressed as a topic sentence. Evidence from and analysis of sources to support Part B. 4.)Part C of the thesis, expressed as a topic sentence. Evidence from and analysis of sources to support Part C. 5.)Counter-Argument. Two parts: first, acknowledge a possible critique of your argument, and (more importantly) second, refute such counter-argument(s) by exposing weaknesses, shortcomings, omissions, or oversights in that critique of your argument. 6.)Conclusion: signals proof of the overall argument, but does not merely review or ″restate the thesis.″ Instead, the conclusion ″zooms out″ and articulate some kind of future, implication, or directive for the reader. Spend about 20% of your conclusion reviewing the argument and use the remaining 80% to spell out what readers might ″do″ with your argument and analysis ″in the future,″ after have read your argument. How or why will the paper above the conclusion help readers understand or think through related issues moving forward, perhaps in other parts of their lives or careers?